Admission header

Application Process

Triton College has an open door admission policy for high school graduates and others qualified to enter our programs. After admission, we provide counseling to help each student determine an appropriate field of study according to their individual abilities and interests.

The college may restrict entry into certain programs due to limitations in space or other considerations. If space is not available for all students who apply, we will accept those best qualified, using rank in class, achievement tests and demonstrated ability as guides. In such situations, we also will give preference to in-district residents.

Application Procedures
Application procedures for admission to Triton College are designed to accommodate the needs and goals of the following different types of students:
   • Degree or Certificate Candidates
   • Non-Degree Candidates
   • International Students
   • High School Students
   • Returning Students

Degree Candidates
Complete the application for admission form online (there is no application fee).

Submit an official high school transcript, GED scores, or evidence of qualification for a specific program to Triton's Office of Admission. Students who need to take the GED test should contact the Adult Basic Education Office at (708) 456-0300, Ext. 3609.

The address for Triton's Office of Admission is:
Triton College
Office of Admission
2000 Fifth Ave.
River Grove, IL 60171-1907


Submit your ACT scores, if applicable. Though not required for admission, we recommend that you submit your ACT scores to assist college counselors with course selection.

You can request to have your ACT scores sent to Triton by writing to:
ACT Records Department
Box 451
Iowa City, IA 52240

Students who have taken the SAT also should request to have their scores sent to Triton College. To do so, you must use the Additional Report Request Form, which you can get from your high school counselor or the College Board regional office in Evanston, IL. The College Board’s phone number is (847) 866-1700.

Submit your college transcripts, where applicable.
Attend a new student orientation. All entering students enrolling in credit classes are required to take Triton’s placement tests prior to orientation.

NOTE: Most health care programs have additional admission requirements, including mandatory attendance at an information session. For more information, call (708) 456-0300, Ext. 3858 (Nursing) or Ext. 3545 (Other Health Careers).

Non-Degree Candidates
Non-degree students may enroll only as part-time students, and must meet the following admission requirements:
Complete the application for admission form online (there is no application fee).
Take Triton’s placement tests. (For more information, call Triton’s Assessment Services at (708) 456-0300, Ext. 3602).
Consult a counselor for registration assistance. We strongly encourage non-degree students to submit high school transcripts as well as college transcripts, where applicable.

International Students
All international students applying to Triton College must contact a records evaluator in the Records Office at (708) 456-0300, Ext. 3559.

International students also are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), and attain a score of 500 on the examination, with a score of at least 50 in each category on the written TOEFL, and a score of 173 and at least 16 to 18 in each category on the computerized TOEFL.

International students must enroll in a minimum of 12 semester hours and must complete their degree objectives within six semesters. International students pay the out-of-state tuition rate. Financial assistance is not available for international students.

The records evaluator will issue the Immigration Form 20 (I-20) only after the student has submitted all required documents and the college has accepted the student’s application.

Other non-native students, whether holding diplomatic, visitor or other non-immigrant visas, must pay out-of-state tuition rates. For more information, contact a records evaluator in the Records Office at (708) 456-0300, Ext. 3559.

For the International Student application, click here.

NOTE: ONLY International students can apply by mail with a paper form. All other must apply online.

High School Students
Triton permits high school students to take college courses and evening high school classes with the written approval of their high school principal or guidance counselor. Triton evening high school registration forms are available in the Adult Basic Education Department (Room A-169) or in the guidance offices of area high schools. For more information, call (708) 456-0300, Ext. 3609.