Dual Credit Dual Enrollment Banner1

Dual Credit FAQ's

Getting Started with Dual Credit

Q: When can I start participating in Dual Credit with Triton?

A: Triton encourages students from participating high schools who have completed their sophomore year and up to apply to the program. However, if you are granted special permission from your high school counselor/administrator, you may enroll prior to your junior year.

Q: How can I tell if Dual Credit is the right choice for me? 

A: Ask yourself these questions: Am I interested in earning college credit early and getting a jump on my future career? Do I consistently make decent grades? Do I have good study habits? Can I handle the challenge of a college course? If you answered ‘Yes’ to these questions, the Dual Credit Programs may be right for you. Have a talk with your parents and counselor.

Q: How do I begin the process of enrolling in dual credit courses at Triton or at my high school?

A: It is recommended that you first speak with your high school counselor regarding what options are available to you through your school and whether you meet the requirements for any courses you may be interested in. From there you will be able to submit an application online or on paper and continue on with the process. 

Q: Which high schools are participating in this program?

A: Triton College works with Des Plaines Valley Region high schools to offer over 60 different courses in 14 different programs. Participating schools are:
   • East Leyden High School
   • West Leyden High School
   • Oak Park River Forest High School
   • Elmwood Park High School
   • Guerin College Prep
   • Ridgewood High School
   • Riverside Brookfield High School
   • Proviso East
   • Proviso West
   • Proviso Math and Science Academy

Q: What steps do I need to complete in order to enroll?
A: In order to become eligible for a student status at Triton under the Dual Credit program, you will need to complete a few important steps:
Complete the Dual Credit Application. Dual Credit Application (Online) OR Dual Credit Application (Paper) *Online Application Guide*
Take the ACCUPLACER assessment
The assessment can be waived with ACT test scores of (20) in English and Writing and a score of (23) in Math. (All students planning to enroll in the Nursing Assistant Program must earn a score of (80) in the reading portion of the placement test to qualify)
*Step-by-step directions for Triton Campus Dual Credit admissions can be found here and directions for admissions in Dual Credit at your high school campus can be found here.

Key Distinctions and Information

Q: Is Triton’s Dual Credit Program the same as AP (Advanced Placement)?

A: There is a difference. AP courses allow students to take college-level courses taught by a high school teacher, with the potential for students to earn college credit and/or course placement based on the results of an AP exam. Courses for the Dual Credit Program are actual college classes taught by qualified high school instructors. They provide an opportunity to earn college credit and high school credit simultaneously without a post exam.

Q: What's the difference between Dual Credit and Dual Enrollment?

A: Dual Credit courses are college level courses that high school students may take either at Triton or their primary high school in which there is a preexisting agreement to award both high school and college credit upon successful completion. Dual Enrollment courses are college courses taken on the college campus by high school students while still enrolled in high school and give college credits but there is no preexisting agreement to award high school credits.

Q: Will the credits earned through Triton’s Dual Credit program transfer to another college or university?

A: Triton has transfer agreements with Illinois Articulation Initiative colleges and universities to assist students in determining what courses will transfer from Triton to other schools. If you plan to transfer out-of-state, contact the admissions office of the college or university you are planning to attend to see if the Triton course you are taking will transfer to that institution.

In order for these dual credit course credits to transfer, you will need to request your Triton transcripts to be sent to the school you are applying to through our Transcripts office. (Credits from Triton are not automatically transferred after completing your high school degree.) 

Got more questions on how Triton classes may be used to fill degree and/or certificate requirements, contact your Academic Adviser. Also, check out the Program of study website.

Q: So what’s the cost for a Dual Credit student to take a college class?

A: Depending on the high school, tuition and/or book costs may be covered by the school. Make sure to contact your high school representative for their billing policies. Students are never charged for dual credit courses taken at their high school campus.

Q: What kind of college perks and support does a Dual Credit student get?

A: Students have access to college support services such as the Triton Library, computer labs and printers, the Tutoring and Learning Center, Disability Resource Center, Academic Advising, and Triton Job Prep Center.

Q: If I am enrolled in Triton’s Dual Credit Program, when the high school is closed (e.g., spring break) will Triton classes continue?

A: Any Triton student must attend classes according to the Triton academic calendar and instructor’s syllabus. Make sure you review Triton’s dates and deadlines for when the college is closed (such as holidays, spring or winter breaks, etc.).

Q: What if a Dual Credit Program student changes his/her mind about taking classes?

A: Dual Credit students are responsible for adhering to all of Triton's dates and deadlines surrounding the academic calendar. To withdraw from classes, students must contact faculty and the Dual Credit Director for enrollment changes.

Q: How does a parent of a Dual Credit student find out how his/her child is doing in the dual credit class?

A: Triton Community College is required by federal law to uphold the FERPA Act, regardless of age, to keep student records confidential. Without the student's permission, Triton cannot share student records with anyone but the student (or appropriate college employees, high school employees, or dual credit instructors).

Should parents wish to view their child’s records, he/she must first complete the third party authorization online through My Triton.